Sunday, April 16, 2006
Steady by jerks
The Honda's almost together. Yes, two weeks later and almost together. I did get some household things done but I managed to make a little headway. Getting the cam in was not as tricky as I was making it out to be. I had it chain, sprocket, cam and it should have been sprocket, chain, cam. Strange, it seems like it wouldn't matter but the difference is immense. One way sucks, the other is cake. I think I found my carb problem or one of them, anyway. There was a loose set screw that holds the bellcrank on the throttle shaft. Can't see that too well when it's on the bike but on the bench it's glaring. I got the carbs cleaned up and back on. Getting the boots that go from the airbox to the carbs is daunting, but that's the next step. Pipes back on, and then paint. I've got the tank just about down to bare metal. I started to strip the paint with chemical stripper and it wouldn't work. The stock Honda paint must be some sort of space-age polymer. Yeah, that's it. I started to sand-blast it but ran out of time to finish at Dad's. I should get the rest of it blasted this week. I need to decide if I should remove the headlight bucket to paint it as well. That's always fun getting the wires all out and then back in again without the turn signal switch triggering the taillight and the horn button killing the engine. I decided not to post pics of the Honda because there's nothing to see, really. Instead enjoy a nice Douglas Dragonfly.