Sunday, February 14, 2010

MONSTER JAM!

GraveDigger doing what he does best

Monster Mutt - ears akimbo

Megasaurus

The wife and I took our older boy to Monster Jam yesterday. Say what you will about monster trucks, they put on a quality show. Started right on time, ran like clockwork. It's a bit cheesy as you might expect but giant trucks with huge amounts of horsepower jumping like this...pretty impressive. We were hoping to see Robosaurus but I think we got Megasaurus due to space constraints. The Allstate Arena is perfect for hockey and Rush concerts but on the small side for monster trucks and car eating, fire breathing robots. It was cool, none the less. I don't know about anyone else, but it was clear to me what a truly American experience this is. Midwestern excess at it's finest. Probably 15 cars were destroyed by trucks with 1500+ horsepower not to mention the car that was literally chewed in half by a mechanical "dinosaur" on tank treads. I'm going to go out on a limb and say if you are not from the United States and are coming over to visit, go see a monster truck show. The county fair shows are okay but you really need to see something like Monster Jam. It's certainly not an evening at the opera, and there won't be any discussions on the finer points of Pollock's early work. That said, it's a spectacle not to be missed.
Photographically speaking, it was a bit challenging. I had to crank the iso up so the pics are a little noisy (digital grain?). I was using the wife's camera and after figuring out the manual settings I got a few choice images. Not bad considering I was just sitting in the stands. It's a good record of a fun couple of hours at Monster Jam.

No comments: