Friday, April 02, 2010

Overpowering the son

Uh, I mean sun. This guy's getting a head start on the terrible two's but sometimes he makes a good model.
I've tried this technique before and could not quite get it. I've since learned what I was doing wrong but it wasn't until today that I got a good image. This one isn't the best of the lot but it has...something. There are some issues that I could fix if I had any Photoshop skills at all. That will have to wait until I get a clue with that. I cropped and resized it but that's all. This is a two light set up done in harsh afternoon sunlight. The deal is overpowering the sun with the flash. Google "overpowering the sun" and you'll find plenty of instruction if you are so inclined. The main light on the left is from a flash and the fill is from the super bright sun. I never would have thought this was possible until about a month ago. With the pines and dark sky it sort of has a shot-at-the-ski-resort-sort-of-feel for some reason. Perhaps next time I'll toss a stocking cap on him. It was 80° so the thought didn't occur at the time. I really need a pic of both my boys together but to get them both to hold still for 1/10000th of a second simultaneously is a bit tricky. Anywhoooo... the techniques are coming along. I've got more and more ideas for pics. I got to see a friends cool airplane the other day that I should be able to shoot. All polished aluminum. Should be challenging. Saw a Lamborghini at the same place. Probably can't shoot that one, however. Drag. Keep watching, more to come.
Rock on.

No comments: