Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Style and Respect - a rebuttal

One of the regrettable things about writing, or beginning writing, is not making your point clear. There are times when I write a post two or three times and I'm not sure if it will convey my thoughts accurately. Since this is not a novel I won't be getting carried away with draft after draft to hone a post into a masterpiece. I'll make a few edits sure, but I'm either o.k. with it or I delete it. The last post was certainly one of the tougher ones. I wrote that last post and later I realized there might be some things left out or maybe I would not get my point nailed down but I really just wanted to say "I'm not fifteen anymore and I should not dress as though I am". After a few false starts I just went with it and I think it came out alright. With one possible exception. I seemed to have sparked something in TVI. TVI is my Dad's cousin and a regular reader and I have quite a bit of respect for him even if I don't know what TVI means or why he uses all capital letters when he types. (Just kidding, dude). TVI left a comment to the tune of him not being too concerned about what people think of the way he dresses. My reply was that I agreed, and that I too don't really care about what others think but dressing well is a sign of respect. He turned that into a nicely written post on his blog. I like what he had to say. Respect should be earned in most cases but there is a matter of context and I think that's where I went wrong. First, I failed to mention that my dressing better is for me. Not the folks around me. The point is not to look better than you, it's to look better than I did. I would hope that all the folks on People of Wal-Mart would chose to do the same but I can't spend my time worrying about them. I also have no intention of belittling anyone. Second, on the issue of respect there are appropriate things to wear to certain events. You don't wear a Metallica t-shirt and dirty jeans to Grandma's funeral. It's disrespectful to dear old Granny and the gravity of the event. I go to a lot of weddings. The bride and groom went to a lot of work to plan the day and make it special. They are wearing the best clothes they can afford for that day. Have a little respect for them, the Church, and the families and put on a tie. I don't expect you to respect me for wearing a tie. It's the other way around. That's about as close as I am going to get to ranting here folks because as I said, I am pushing the boundaries of  being hypocritical. I didn't want to have two blog posts about the way I dress. I just wanted to make a point about me growing up and attempting to act like an adult. I feel not wearing flip-flops to the White House is part of that. The next post is going to be about carrots. No controversy, just vegetables.

4 comments:

tvi said...

HI SURLY,

MY INTENTION WITH MY POST WAS THE SAME AS YOURS WAS WITH THIS ONE. THERE DIDN'T SEEM TO BE ENOUGH ROOM TO CONVEY MY THOUGHTS ON THE SUBJECT.

YOU KNOW ME WELL ENOUGH TO KNOW THAT I DRESS FOR THE OCCASION. I GUESS THAT MEANS I'M PLAYING ADULT.

I GOT YOUR MEANING THE FIRST TIME, AND I GET IT BETTER NOW. THERE WAS A SONG THAT HAD A LINE ABOUT GROWING UP IS HARD TO DO, I GUESS WE'RE STILL FINDING THAT OUT.

TALK TO YOU SOON,

TVI

P.S. I TYPE IN CAPITALS BECAUSE I'M NOT MUCH OF A TYPIST, AND TVI STANDS FOR THE VILLAGE IDIOT.

Surly said...

I pretty much new we were on the same page I just wasn't sure I made myself clear the first time. Thanks.

Grumpyunk said...

I'm still thinking your style should include- RabbitHelmets!

Yeah, I'm still stuck on it. Makes me laugh every time I think of our 2 boys, your little one and my 24 y/o, running around like a couple of chowderheads with the RabbitHelmets on. Really does make me LOL!

Surly said...

I actually set up the lights,and attempted to take a shot of the whole family wearing rabbit helmets but the boys balked. Tears led to screaming. I'll try again sometime. I haven't forgot.