Saturday, October 30, 2010

Picture of the week 10/25/10 Happy Halloween

I wasn't sure what to do for the pic of the week and after carving all these pumpkins it was sort of a no-brainer. Yeah, maybe a bit of a cop-out but there are only so many hours in a week. What I tried to do here is not have an all black background with just the glow from the o'lanterns. I wanted to have a little light on the rest of the scene to balance things. Also, I needed to have a little light on the big guy to show that his nose was formerly the stem. I have two Adirondack chairs sitting on the porch and I remembered the Joe McNally technique of shooting a flash through things to add some drama. I put the flash on one chair and shot through the other. I had to move it around and play with flash power a bit to get it right. I also used a gridded snoot because I was getting some spill on the leaves and the whole thing lost it's scary, flashlight-through-the-cemetery-fence vibe. As for the pumpkins themselves I did the "skull" on the right...uninspired. I did the big scary one with the direction of my five-year-old. The next one, well...I think that's pretty cool. The Boy wanted to do his own carving so I gave him a marker and told him to draw what he wanted. That is what he came up with. It's a spaceship. Yes, totally obvious to you I'm sure but I had to ask. That kid is super weird sometimes and I'm so proud of that. I love that bizarre, rectangle-dot thing he has going on. We used a drill for the dots and the wife was inspired to do the one on the right. First time for the Boy and the wife using a drill. If you have not tried drilling into a pumpkin with a spade bit there is something very satisfying about it. I hope you like the photo. Be careful out there tonight. Rock on. 

No comments: