Thursday, August 18, 2005

Portland Oregon



Lately things seem to keep pointing to Portland, Oregon for me. I've never been to Portland but I think maybe something is calling me there. Seems strange I know, but I found something today that seemed to seal the deal. Let me start at the beginning, I'm always looking for the job that's right for me. The job that when I get up in the morning I can't wait to get to. Something interesting to me, not just a place to go that generates cash so I can pay the mortgage. I could go on about this but the point here is Portland. Awhile back I was reading about Kenny Dreer and his revival of the Norton marque. "Hmmm", I thought, "That would be an interesting job, I wonder where old Kenny's shop is located?" Gladstone, Oregon it turns out. Gladstone, it would seem, is about 10 miles from downtown Portland. Moving on, I like to read. Even more than reading I enjoy the procurement of books. I was looking online for a book of bedtime stories for my lovely wife to replace her childhood copy that is a bit the worse for wear. I ran across Powell's books. Big old bookstore in Portland, Oregon. I signed up for thier email list and I quite like the content. I bought a few books. Powell's and I get along swimmingly. Hmmm, Portland connection number two. So, I get the new CycleWorld a few months ago and there on the cover is the C1. The C1 is a very innovative american made racing motorcycle that, thank god, has nothing to do with Harley Davidson. "Hmmm," I thought, "That would be an interesting job, I wonder where they are builidng that thing?" Yep, you guessed it. Portland, Oregon. I love bicycles. Especially hand made, lugged steel bicycles. I found this guy on the web named Sacha White (Sacha is a man's name) who builds these just gorgeous frames. His company is Vanilla Bicycles. I check out the site once in a while to see what's new and drool at Sacha's work. Boy if I could afford to buy a handmade bicycle I'd swing by Sacha's place and.....say where is Vanilla Bicycles located, anyway? Portland, Oregon. O.k., o.k., I give up, so I look into the city of Portland, Oregon. Check out the official city website, look at travel sites etc.... Looks like a nice enough place. Rains alot. Now, I'm a big Simpsons fan, I dont get crazy about it but I watch the show religiously. The shows creator is Matt Groening. Today I was looking at the Portland Tribune site and I see a little icon at the bottom of the page drawn in Matt's unique style and it says Matt Groening's Portland. It seems Mr. Groening's home town is.......wait for it.........wait for it...........Portland, Oregon. Alright, this is all just coincidence but Portland does seem like it's calling me, does it not? Oh and they have a hockey team called the WinterHawks. Complete clone of the Chicago Blackhawks but they are in the Western Hockey League. Another reason to go visit. So, I'm not pulling up stakes or anything but if I take a vacation to Portland at least I know there are plenty of things there that interest me.

2 comments:

Grumpyunk said...

Remember to pronounce it right - ORYGUN. That'll save you the trouble of being corrected from all the Natives. They're real funny about the pronunciation. No, I don't know why. Just the way it is.

red said...

they do get fiesty over the name. OR-E-GUN indeed. Portland is a great town, I spent a week out there a few years back. Still thinking about that being my destination once I escape the midwest.
It was almost culture shock. I'm so used to the stereotypical midwestern assholes and tough guys. The nice and friendly people of the pacific northwest caught me off guard. Hope you get to move there, it's amazing. The winters are pretty light too, so you could ride year round if you bundle up.